Saturday

"Yes, you CAN!"


When I teach classes each week, (high intensity interval training- HIIT, and Core) I plan tough workouts.  I don't have a lot of time and I want to make sure what we are doing is effective.  Sometimes, what I choose for the routine can look a little unusual or seem impossible to those that attend.  I put them in the routine because I want to "nudge" these people out of the comfort zone a little and challenge them to try.  You should see the looks on their faces sometimes.  I can read those looks and they usually say, "I can't do that."  Before I introduce and demo something like that, I say, "And before I show you, I want to say, 'YES YOU CAN!"  

Then, do you know what happens?  They try it and THEY CAN!!!!  Maybe just one repetition or for a short time, but they surprise themselves and it is a true delight.  Last week, it was mountain climbers with their feet on the wall.  It looks a little daunting, but it's fun and different.  Every single person did it.  One gal approached me a few days later in a public setting and told me she went home and showed her husband!  

So, whatever you are doing, TRY it before you tell yourself, "I can't do that." If it's too hard, then you say, "I can't do it YET, but I will soon!"  Most of the time, you'll pleasantly surprise yourself.....and the rest is history.