Wednesday

This is 40

So, today, I turned 40.  It's still sinking in.....I don't feel any different, but all day I've been thinking, "Huh.  I'm in a new decade!  Where did my 30s go?"  My 30s were a time of having babies and raising them.  A lot of it was a time where I wasn't happy with myself.  Frankly, I didn't take care of myself because I took care of everyone else.  Today, this mid-life point made me both reflect on the past AND look into the future.  I mean, what do I want 40 to look like?

What I always thought 40 would be: ("always" meaning my teenage years until mid-thirties)
-doomed to elastic "mom jeans" 
-frumpiness
-the end of youth
-depressing
-immediate weight gain and the end of my metabolism
-wrinkles and creakiness
-the start of a mid-life crisis
-just a list of negative things in general

What 40 is actually going to be:
-full of potential not only personally, but professionally
-learning to be even more comfortable in my own skin
-youth in my mind, body, and spirit
-a desire to learn more about a whole lot of things!
-enjoyment in my kids becoming evermore independent and awesome
-prosperity
-an opportunity to be generous and inspirational
-a year to connect to others in new ways
-I want to push myself out of my comfort zone and do things that I haven't tried or accomplished before
-some of the best times of my life

Sure, there are gray hairs and fine lines, but I'm embracing it.  If someone mistakes me for a 31 year old, that's even better!  (That did happen recently!) Age is just a number, it's not who I am.  

Woo hoo, 40!!!  Bring it on!