Monday

Our kids, their futures

I feel like our society as a whole makes it hard for our children to be physically healthy.  With my own kids, I make sure that my kids have healthy foods available, cook healthy meals, and encourage outside and active time.  My husband and I work out and talk about exercise and nutrition in a positive way trying to be good role models to them.  Despite all of this, I feel like I'm constantly fighting against them commenting, "I don't WANT to go outside!" or "Can I have some candy?" 

Maybe I'm crazy, but I feel like there is a difference between when I was a kid versus now with my own kids.  I didn't constantly ask for sugar.  I feel like they are always looking for that sugary something....maybe because these days, there is an unlimited supply of candy everywhere all year round: Christmas, Valentines, Easter, parade candy, Halloween.  On top of the abundant supply of sugar are the convenience foods that our society touts and that many families rely on between activities and hectic schedules.  It's trouble in a box or can!  The restaurants we all eat at serve WAY too much food, even in the kids meals!  A kids meal is what an adult should be eating!

Besides food issues, our world is not the same place to play in as it was 20-30 years ago.  Maybe we don't feel as safe to send our kids out to roam the neighborhoods or go to the park on their own. (I don't.)  The parks and playgrounds are virtually empty on a nice day!  Where is everyone?!  It seems like if it's not a scheduled class or sport, it is less likely to happen. 

Kids are addicted to technology to many physical detriments.  We stick them in front of screens everywhere.  Have you seen that movie Wall-E?  Are our kids going to end up like that?  Floating along through the day with a screen in their faces?  Even McDonald's has TVs all over their new restaurants!  All of this sedentary activity is setting our kids up for physical health troubles from posture problems to obesity.  There has to be a balance.

Failures on our part as the adults:
- Allowing too much technology time and not enough activity or movement. 
- What we cook (or don't cook). IE- predominantly convenience food and eating out during the week.
- How WE look and how we take care of ourselves.  WE are the role models and 66% of our adult population is overweight/obese in this country!
- Restaurant portion sizes.  (Cut it in half!)

So, what can we do to set our kids up for success?  Cook real food and eventually teach our kids to cook real food.  Cut the salt, sugar, and unhealthy fats that our society seems to be addicted to. Enjoy what food is supposed to taste like.   Move our bodies and invite our kids along.  Be good physical role models.  If you aren't ready to change for yourself, change for your kids.  They are watching you.  They will mimic you because they love you and want to be like you.  Give them a chance to be as healthy as they can be.