Friday

Free food DOES NOT equal free reign!

This post was prompted by my experience at the Costco open house last night.  The new store is opening and had it's free viewing for our city.  My husband and I took the kids so that we could see what they had, because we are not current members of Costco.  I knew that food samples would be available, but I don't think that I was truly prepared for the volume of food being served.

I truly believe that people can lose control at the sight of food or I should say, certain food.  Especially FREE food.  Let me give you a virtual picture:  As we walked through the store, there were free cans of pop and juice boxes (How about some water, people!).  Then, little cups of trail mix, which actually looked good and was an appropriate serving.  As we neared the back of the store to the bakery section, it was a stand-still mob of people.  Why?  Cake and pie of all sorts and flavors were being handed out.  Full slices, along with coffee.   Near that was a buffet of meatballs slathered in sauce, Caesar salad, and turkey.  Then you walk to the freezer/cooler section and can get a smoothie, a cup of various ice cream, and a cube of cheese with a bit of turkey on a toothpick.  At this point, I've had a cup of coffee, the cheese cube, and a small slice of pumpkin pie.

Follow the mob to the fast food area of the store and find a full fledged free buffet of huge pizzas, brats, hot dogs, chicken casserole, and some sort of hot turkey sandwich.  As much as you want along with anything in the pop machine for FREE.  It was chaos.  We stood in line and I looked around feeling a bit sad.  I can't believe what people eat when it is free.  And, maybe they eat that way when it's not free too.  I don't know, but I felt like a lot of the people there were loading their plates like they hadn't eaten all week or wouldn't have food again until Thanksgiving!  I had one piece of pizza and called it good.  Then, I decided to stop looking around.  I can't imagine eating everything that was offered there.  It wasn't samples......it was buffets.

Have we lost control as a society?  Is food addiction becoming a norm?  Do we really need to be
eating two plates with one of everything on a normal weeknight?  I'm not the judge here.  I don't make a habit of staring at people's plates when we are eating together as friends or family.  People will decide for themselves what they put into their bodies.  Let's just have a little restraint though.  Sample and enjoy, don't gorge and inhale.  And to the store owners.....why are the healthy samples like trail mix and cheese cubes at the appropriate serving size but all of the stuff like cake and pizza the full sized "eat all you want" options?

Thanksgiving is coming and then Christmas and all of the parties and celebrations that go with this wonderful time of year.  If people can't eat sensibly at a Costco opening, what will happen to them during the holiday gatherings?