Friday

Lifesaver

The YMCA and fitness saved my life. Maybe that's a little dramatic, but it certainly saved my sanity! I've belonged to the Y for over 4 1/2 years now. Before we joined, I was "drowning" in motherhood with no healthy stress outlet.  I felt like fitness wasn't a priority and even though I wanted to lose weight and change my body, I had no ideas and no energy at that point to do it on my own at home. (Sound familiar?)  I had a pedometer and used it to walk the mall or the neighborhood, but didn't do any other exercise.  I figured hauling kids around the house had to count for something. A stressful day (every day!) was relieved by eating. It was like a reward. I didn't overeat in a sitting, but made poor food choices and routinely cleaned my kid's plates after my own.

In 2008, we joined the Y. Decided to try it out for a year.  I felt a little guilty putting the kids in the childcare, but was desperate to have exercise and a bit of time to myself.  I quickly found out that I needed this time!  Finally, I had a healthy way to deal with stress and also a way to meet other people and try new things. It was worth every penny. I didn't feel like I was drowning anymore.  My mood improved, my energy improved.  I added something to my identity. I didn't feel like "just mom" during that hour to myself, I felt like Kara- a person that was taking care of herself and in turn, doing my family a favor too.  One year turned into 4+ years and now fitness is my life.

You don't need to join a gym to save your life, but find fitness if you haven't already!