Wednesday

Slow and steady wins the race...


Every time I turn on one of the local radio stations, I hear commercials for MIRACLE diet programs.  "Lose weight while you sleep!"  Or, "You don't have to do anything but take this __________ to get the body you've always wanted!"  It drives me crazy.  Please tell me that people aren't really going to fall for this.

I believe in taking some supplements- fish oil, whey protein, vitamins, a greens supplement, a few amino acids.  At no point in my fitness journey have I ever believed that there was some miracle pill/drink/shake/powder that could melt all my fat away, give me lots of muscle tone, and make me look like some sculpted goddess.  It's NOT going to happen.  Hard work makes that happen. These things that you hear about are misleading.  Half the time, you hear something a year later like, "If you took such-and-such pill, you may be at risk for heart defects."  In my opinion, quick fixes = failure.

The only things that "miracle" diet drugs do are teach you to get really good at taking a pill, give you false hope, and make you forever skeptical. They don't teach you how to prepare and eat real, whole food, how to move your body or strengthen your body, or how to change your lifestyle for the better.  "Miracle" programs make you start over because as soon as you stop doing whatever it is they are asking you to do, you often gain back the weight PLUS more!  That's because you didn't learn anything valuable from it.  People are in such a hurry these days that they want results NOW.  I get it-- I wanted my last few pounds to come off yesterday.  

Slow and steady wins the race.  You will learn real lessons during your lifelong fitness journey.  You have time to practice and master what you've learned and then you can help those around you.  You won't be as likely to start over again and again because the changes you are making are slow and gradual, not rapid and ridiculous.  It's hard to wait.  It's taken me about 3 years to lose 7 inches off my hips and 4 around my waist.  THREE YEARS!  But, do you know what??  I'm not going to blow it or waste my time on some "miracle" commercial crappy plan to get the rest off.  It may take another year because I'm not perfect.....I struggle too sometimes.  But I'm steadily making my way to my ultimate goals and my best body and every bit of it was through hard work- not false miracles.