Saturday

Ageless


I recently read an article about loving yourself at any age and finding your beauty at any age.  I'd like to add finding health and fitness and your abilities at any age-- just because you are 30ish, 40ish, 50ish on up doesn't mean that it's too late to change your health and fitness habits.  Health and fitness habits can be changed (or found) at ANY age.  It's way too easy to use age as an excuse.  Have you ever told yourself, "I'm too old to do that or learn that?"  No way!  As you age, your body maybe can't handle the same intensity or speed, but if you progress slowly, you'll surprise yourself at what you CAN do.

In the article about aging, it talked about setting goals to be "appropriate" for your abilities.  The example used was by the author who happens to be 59 years old.  She said that now, she can't pull her leg above her head like she could as a former ballerina, but she certainly could go play tennis for 2 hours.  The point is to set realistic fitness goals for the current and future YOU, not the former, younger version of yourself.  Push yourself a bit.  Ask yourself, "What do I want NOW?  What can I try?"  Chances are, you'll come out the other side saying, "I can't believe I can (still) do that!"

A personal note: I never thought I'd be in the BEST shape of my life at age 38.  I can do things that I never imagined myself doing! I plan to keep pushing myself and just keep going.  My advice to everyone would be to look forward, not backward. Continue to set goals at any age, at any ability. 

Love yourself and believe in yourself during the journey to achieve those goals, no matter what age you are.