Sunday

Judgement Day


I ran into a friend at the gym yesterday and as we were catching up, the conversation turned to comments that we've encountered recently from others and whether they were appropriate or inappropriate.  You see, we have both worked really hard to have strong, fit bodies.  She said she felt "judged" by others sometimes because she is very fit.  She felt as if sometimes people look at her differently because of the shape she is in.  My response to her was that I have felt people looking at me, looking at my body, but that we should both be proud of our hard work and what we have accomplished.  Never feel bad about achieving your goals, even when others around you are feeling bad about themselves.   I told my friend that those people may or may not be looking at her with envy or negative feelings, but that she should use that situation as an opportunity to inspire those around her.  I encourage her to keep being her friendly, approachable self and "shine her light."

Isn't it funny how we can feel judged at any size?  That we can be judgmental to others no matter what they look like?  Have you ever looked at someone and thought, "They are TOO ___."  You fill in the blank:  too fat, too thin, too FIT, too tall, too short, too muscular, whatever.  Of course you have, we all have.  Especially if you aren't happy with yourself.  You don't even have to say the words, all it takes is a look or an awkward pause.  Instead of judging others, focus on yourself, what you want, and how you will get there.  We can all learn from each other, so if you see someone that inspires you, go up to them and ask them about themselves and how they got where they are.  I tell people at the gym all the time that I like what I see them doing and if someone looks great, I tell them that too.  You can make someone's day by doing something simple like that.

If you aren't where you physically want to be, start working on it.  As your body changes, people will notice.  Don't be afraid of that attention as long as it's appropriate.  As the layers get peeled off, don't hide your new self. Own it and be proud of it!  Inspire others and be inspired by other.