Saturday

If you don't have anything nice to say...

Don't say anything at all.  Isn't that how we all learned it?  (I feel like I'm telling my kids this all the time!)  I want to talk about how we talk to ourselves more than how we talk to others.  What is your internal dialogue like?  What do you say to yourself when you look in the mirror or get dressed in the morning?  How about when you see yourself in a picture?

We are our own worst critics.  We love to hate on ourselves, especially when we don't feel good about ourselves.  I think there is even one step further than being down on yourself, and that is not caring anymore.  At that point, you just let go of trying to make improvements and that is a dark place to be.

So, how do you change the way to talk to yourself?  How do you stop from muttering negative comments as jokes when others are around?  Or, how do you keep from joining in when in a group of people (primarily females on this one!) that are all bashing themselves or others?  

I think instead of "don't say anything at all," we should all practice positive affirmations.  This takes a lot more effort, I know.  I remember a point in my life when I looked in the mirror and thought, "Gross," about certain areas of my body.  It's a place I never want to go back to.  I didn't deserve to treat myself that way.

Celebrate what you DO like about yourself.  I've said it before, but use what you want to change about your body or even your attitude/mindset as fuel to move forward toward your goals.  Turn, "My butt looks so big in these jeans!" into, "I can't wait to get into the next size down....I'm going to work hard to get there!"  Or, "My favorite thing about myself is...."    If it's a rough day, then just acknowledge that it is and move on without the bashing.

Overhauling your mindset is just as hard if not harder than overhauling your body.  We spend years developing negative dialogue just like we do forming poor eating habits.  It takes a lot of time to unwind that.  Ultimately, you have to decide what you want and how bad you want it.  When it gets hard, you have to talk yourself through it in a good way.  Be encouraging to yourself and others.  "I CAN do this" and "I AM worth it" are a good start.

If you don't have anything nice to say, then change it.