Saturday

Life Support

If you would have asked me two years ago if I would be working as a personal trainer, I would have laughed and shaken my head.  (This did indeed happen a few times.) It's funny how life can throw you surprises that way.  The truth is, the reason I'm going into this profession is because the supportive people in my life saw that potential in me and helped me believe that I could be successful doing something that I was so passionate about.

I call this post "Life Support" not because I'm going to write about the machines that can keep someone alive, but about the people in life that encourage and support us while we attempt greatness. If not greatness, at least support us as we try something new or work to achieve a goal.  It's no secret that social support can strongly influence behavior and beliefs.  People who have that support in life fare better, whether you are trying to change eating habits, are training for a marathon, or are just attempting exercise adherence.

Social support can be friends, family, coworkers, and other people who provide encouragement, support, accountability, and companionship.  It is imperative that who you surround yourself with has a positive attitude and will help you meet your goals rather than hinder you.  Negativity is poison to your success and will suck the motivation right out of you.

Life support =
  • Having support: Let friends and family know your goals so that they can support you!
  • Being supportive to others:  Be uplifting to help others achieve their goals!  So many times, we unintentionally sabotage each other when we feel the other person will be successful and we won't.
  • Supporting yourself: Think positively and get what you need to be successful. (i.e.-a babysitter to watch the kids while you work out, information on new classes or workouts, etc.)  Nobody is going to do it FOR you.
If you don't have outside support, find it!  Join a group, reach out to a friend, or find it in yourself. 
I'm so thankful to have a supportive husband, family, friends, and gym pals!  Without them, I wouldn't be headed in this direction.