Monday

Struggles


I met an amazing woman the other day at the Y.  I had seen her there a few times before working with one of the staff trainers.  We happened to both be stretching at the same time today and I took the opportunity to visit with her a bit.  All I had to say was, "I see that you were working with a trainer today....how did you like that?"  We ended up sitting there for the next 15 minutes while she told me about her heroic battle against rare health problems.  

This woman has been through things I can only cringe at.  She used to lift weights before she struggled with the health scares and after going through months of hell last fall, she's back to it!  At a much altered level, mind you, but I was awed at her persistence to live her life the best she could with the hand she has been dealt.  I told her she was an inspiration to all around her and congratulated her for choosing life versus sitting at home giving up when things with her health got tough.  I said to her that she should write a book about her struggles, her efforts, and her comeback.

As we were finishing with our stretching, I asked the woman if she ever gets frustrated when she hears other people complaining about how they don't want to exercise, about lack of motivation, or anything of the sort.  I mean, she wanted to exercise for a long time, but physically COULDN'T.  Those around her could, but didn't want to.  A new perspective, no??  She chuckled a little and said yes, it was frustrating.

It's amazing who you meet when you simply strike up a conversation with the person next to you.  There are amazing people everywhere with interesting stories.  Stories that will humble you and teach you to stop whining when your own problems aren't so bad.  Yes, everyone has struggles, but the next time you don't feel like working out because you're tired or whatever the excuse is, take a minute to put it in perspective and be thankful that you have an able body.  You just need the will to match it.