Monday

I'm not perfect


Personal trainers are people too.  Normal people just like everyone else when it comes to having struggles with things like motivation, temptation, physical limitation, and just plain having "rough days."  Sure, we show people how to lead healthier, more physically active lives.  We hold people accountable and serve as a guide.  At the end of the day, a trainer has to hold themselves accountable as well.  It's a big job....it's a great job!

This is on my mind right now because I've had a few days lately where I've struggled.  Struggled with some emotional things in my personal life, struggled with tempting food in the house (that I didn't want here), struggled to advance forward in workouts due to injury.  The easy way out would have been just to skip a workout or bury my head in a bag of chocolate.  But, as a personal trainer, I feel a certain amount of pressure to "have it all together."  To have all the answers.  Even more, to be on my game and also look the role that I serve ALL the time.  Talk about a load on my shoulders.

So, in my rough days, what do I do?  How am I different from anyone else?  Well, I'm not that different.  I've waded through YEARS of "one step forward, two steps back" and realize that I just need to do what I have to in order to keep moving forward.  It's called grit and persistence...and the fact that I know what it feels like to be fat and I never want to feel (or look) that way again.   I've yo-yo'd enough to know what works and what doesn't.  I found my inner strength and rely on it during those "rough days."

Will I eat treats sometimes or occasionally miss a workout?  Sure.  That's life.  Will I let food control me or stop working out completely even when the going gets tough?  No way.  I'm a normal, average, real person-- but one that will guide myself and my clients toward success.