Tuesday

Taking a Break

I'm hurt and crabby about it.  Last week, I was dead lifting heavy and it happened.  I have impeccable form when dead lifting, so it wasn't that....no, I strained my low back while setting the bar back down on the rack!  It's embarrassing and infuriating all at the same time.  I felt the pull and knew something wasn't right.  What did I do then--I finished my workout, of course!  Well, I paid for it.  After taking a break for the subsequent four days, I am humbled and healing.  I guess I'm not super-she-woman after all.  It's funny how you can feel so strong and able and something so stupid can instantly mess with that.

When you hurt yourself, it's important to take a break.  Let your body heal, or it will make it worse.  Sitting on the sidelines, I'm itching to get back to my lifting, but know that I need to move gingerly and cautiously.  Heck, I need to do what I would tell my own clients to do.  

The key is to get back into it as soon as you are better.  You may have to "sit out," but don't use that as an excuse when your body is ready and able.  Even if you have to start all over.  Never ask yourself, "What's the point?"  The point is to treat yourself to the best health and fitness level imaginable for your body.  You deserve it.