Monday

One Year

Today marks one year since my dad passed away.  It's been a tough year...one where I've learned a lot about myself.   I've been reflecting a lot lately on a few things:

a) How fast a year in our lives speeds by us
b) What have I done with myself and my life this past year?
c) Would my dad be proud of me right now?

A year = a blink of time.  If we aren't careful, we'll just let it pass by without any meaning or without doing anything significant for ourselves or others.  How many times have you said, "I'll start tomorrow" and then you turn around 365 days later and 365 times of telling yourself that and nothing has changed?  What a waste.

If I could tell my dad a few things about this past year, I'd tell him that I'm taking care of myself and my family.  He'd be happy to know that I've grown my business in several ways and that I'm having fun with it.  My dad would be excited that I am still learning every day (he was a long-time educator) and trying new things.

Before I let you in on lessons that my dad taught me in life, I'll pose the question to you-- "What have you done this past year?"  "What do you want to have accomplished one year from now?"  It will be here before you know it, so get going.

Lessons from my father:

- Be kind and caring
- Serve others
- Be a giving person
- Have patience
- Learn from your mistakes
- If you fall, get back up
- Experience life
- Love learning
- Laugh a lot
- Have fun (without much money)
- Go new places and try new things
- It doesn't matter what other people think of you
- Live up to your potential and help others do the same
- Believe in God and know that Jesus loves you

What I would add for you all:
-Take care of yourself.  You get one body and one life
-Believe in yourself and your abilities
-Just keep going....even when it's been a tough year.


Thanks, Dad.  I try to make you proud every day.  I miss you a lot.