Monday

A Checklist

I get Prevention magazine.  I have no idea why....it just started showing up in my mailbox each month.  Anyway, it really is a great little magazine!  The January edition is like any other magazine right now that touts changes to make in your life in the new year.  The part that I will post about here is a checklist of things to try and do for yourself and your health this year.  I think I'm drawn to it because I'm a list person...I make lists every day and feel accomplished if I am able to check things off.

I won't put the whole list here, but a few highlights:

"To-Do in 2013":

- Blood Pressure and Cholesterol Screening
- Get a Depression Screening if you've been feeling down for more than 2 weeks at a time
- Pelvic Exam and Mammogram
(Routine Exercise can lower blood pressure, cholesterol, chances of depression, and some forms of cancer like breast or ovarian cancer!)

- Eat more produce and healthy fats. You will feel fuller longer.
- Eat mindfully....pay attention to what and how much you are eating.  Slow down and enjoy your food.
- Cut back on refined grains (pasta, white rice, baked goods, etc.)
- Eat well when you are at home or at a restaurant

- Drop the "All or Nothing" attitude toward exercise.  (I wrote a blog post about this awhile back titled All or Nothing)
- Find the kind of physical activity that you enjoy.  You'll stick with it longer.
- Take every opportunity you can to move your body.
- Think of exercise as a gift, not a chore.  Think about the positives of exercise, like how it relaxes you, being with friends, the sense of accomplishment, along with the health benefits.

- Choose a mantra for yourself.  Saying a certain phrase to yourself can banish negative self talk and even get you through a tough workout or a food craving.  It can be something like "I can do this."  Mine is "You're stronger than you think you are" and "I've got this!"
- Get outside!  We all spend way too much time indoors.
- Drink more tea.
- Unplug (take a break from texting, emailing, etc)
- Get a massage....they can relieve stress, anxiety, and depression.

I think this is a wonderful, well-rounded checklist of things that we can do from now into the years to come.  We shouldn't just work on our physical health, but our mental health too.