Monday

Through sickness and health


I've had a cold all week in my head and now my chest.  Despite that, I still go to the gym and exercise my heart out.  I find that although I may feel a bit cruddy before my workout, I feel better afterwards!  It's almost like my body is saying "thank you!" for working it even with a plugged head and a bit of fatigue.  

One of my clients asked me about this very subject a few days ago as she is also battling a cold.  I encouraged her to give her workout a try as long as she wasn't violently coughing, nauseous, and didn't have a fever.  I told her to be the judge and trust her body.  If she started, but couldn't make it through, then it was okay to stop.  It turns out my advice was right on the spot.....I read several articles about exercising while sick and the information is listed below for your perusal:

1)  "Is it OK to exercise if I have a cold?"

Answer from Edward R. Laskowski, M.D. (Mayoclinic.com)

Mild to moderate physical activity is usually OK if you have a garden-variety cold and no fever. Exercise may even help you feel better by opening your nasal passages and temporarily relieving nasal congestion.

As a general guide for exercise and illness, consider this:

Exercise is usually OK if your signs and symptoms are all "above the neck" — symptoms you may have with a common cold, such as runny nose, nasal congestion, sneezing or minor sore throat. Consider reducing the intensity and length of your workout, though, or you may feel worse. Instead of going for a run, take a walk, for example.
Don't exercise if your signs and symptoms are "below the neck" — such as chest congestion, hacking cough or upset stomach.
Don't exercise if you have a fever, fatigue or widespread muscle aches.
Let your body be your guide. If you have a cold and feel miserable, take a break. Scaling back or taking a few days off from exercise when you're sick shouldn't affect your performance. Resume your normal workout routine gradually as you begin to feel better. And check with your doctor if you aren't sure if it's OK to exercise.

Remember if you do choose to exercise when you're sick, reduce the intensity and length of your workout. If you attempt to exercise at your normal intensity when you have more than a simple cold, you could risk more serious injury or illness.

2) Gym Etiquette When Exercising With a Cold (WebMD)

It's one thing if you decide to exercise when sick, but how do you keep from spreading it to others in the gym? And what about you if they are the ones exercising with a cold?

Be careful that you are not blowing your nose constantly. And you should be using a towel and putting it down on every surface you touch and wiping it off when you are done.

The value of hand washing cannot be overstated.  Wash hands before and after using the restroom, before meals, after using public transportation, and after returning home from school or work.  Also, carry alcohol-based hand sanitizer gel in your gym bag to use when you realize that you have come into contact with someone who is sneezing or coughing.

3) Notes from FitnessHealthZone.com

Exercise has the ability to boost immunity. Research has shown that those who exercise get sick 30% less often than those who do not exercise. Those who exercise when sick also experience feeling less sick and stay sick for a shorter period of time. However, excessive exercise can have the reverse effect, depleting energy reserves and lowering the immune system.

Be sure to drink lots of water. Wash your hands frequently. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables in order to give your body the nutrients it needs in order to heal more quickly. Be sure to get plenty of Vitamin C and zinc into your diet during this time. Must importantly, get plenty of rest.

Great information for all of us!  I like the part about backing off on the intensity of your workout when necessary....I wish I would have listened to that a few years ago when I couldn't figure out why I was so darn tired and could hardly walk the treadmill or ride the bike (my how my workouts have changed!!!!) at my then-normal speeds.  The violent cough and extreme fatigue should have cued me in, but I had double pneumonia.  That definitely was a time that I should have been resting and not trying to work through it.  

The most important point here is to listen to your body and adapt or rest as necessary.