Friday

Everyone has a story....


I was at the gym last night having a much needed workout after a few days off and I spotted a "fit female" across the room in the free weights.  Normally, I'd be right there with her, but it was a cardio night.  Anyway, during my rest periods, I had so much fun watching her because she was "lifting heavy."  It takes a lot to impress me these days, but her barbell chest presses were at 100 pounds.  She could crank out a good volume of pull ups and tricep dips with her body hanging free.  She was working hard and I thought I needed to go and tell her "great job!"  

So, at the end of my workout, she was putting her stuff away and I walked right up to her and introduced myself.  I complimented her on what I saw her doing and told her how I was a trainer who believes wholly in getting women to lift challenging weights.  She was shocked that I complimented her, but I could see that she was pleased too.  We stood there for twenty minutes talking!!!  She told me her fitness story and shared that she had lost 60 pounds and 40 inches over her journey!  I don't know how long she's been working at it, but it was so fun to hear about the things she's doing and even give her a few ideas of my own.  She commented on how her body has changed since she started "lifting heavy."  BINGO!!  It's just another living testimonial of how weight lifting will change your body for the better, not the bulkier.  

In our conversation, I found out that the trainer that helped her lose all of her weight is a gal that I partner up with sometimes.  She also knew a few people in our city that I know too.  Small world, I guess.  The point here is that we should all take the time to get to know those around us at the gym.  It's a great way to get inspired and get new ideas.

I went to the gym to do my own heavy lifting this morning.  I thought about the gal from last night and really cranked up my lift.  It felt great!  We all inspire each other.... you never know who's watching you!